A healthier diet is an important part for human and can be helpful to control diabetes. Doctors also recommends improving your diet in type 2 diabetes. Taking healthy diabetes diet can be helpful for keeping blood sugar level stable, maintain a healthy weight or lose weight and health complications prevention such as high blood pressure or heart disease.
To control diabetes eating and drinking is also important as well as physical activities. But you must be careful to pay much attention to nutrition, healthy meals with your diabetes management plan as well. Some people think that having diabetes means going without enjoying their favorite foods. There is no break on your favorite food, but you might be recommended to enjoy your favorite food in less portions.
For a diabetic person, it is important to plan a healthy diabetic diet and include right type of foods in diet. Here are some diabetic diet foods that you must focus on eating plenty of:
Vegetables: Start having fresh, raw, roasted or cooked vegetables in your diet including starchy vegetables (potatoes, green Peas and Corn) and non-starchy (carrots, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, green vegetables etc).
Fruits: fruits are also helpful to control diabetes. Include fresh fruits like melon, oranges, apples, berries, grapes and banana in your diet.
Whole Grains: Add whole grains at least half of your grain for the day including rice, wheat, oats, barley, cornmeal and quinoa, for example bread, cereal, pasta and tortillas.
Dairy Products: Use fat-free or low-fat dairy products like milk, cheese, yogurt etc.
Protein: Protein in also important for a healthy diet. Start having lean meat, fish, chicken or turkey without skin, eggs, peanuts and nuts, dried beans, chickpeas, meat substitutes such as tofu etc.
Some important dieting tips that should be helpful to keep you blood sugar levels in check:
- Through the day, start having five small meals instead of having three big meals to keep stable the blood sugar level.
- Choose low carb foods because high carbs can spike the blood sugar level.
- Include fibre rich foods in your diet because it takes time to digest completely and helps to keep you fuller for a long time.
- Instead of refined sugar, include sugar alternatives like coconut sugar, jaggery, and raw honey.
- Choose monounsaturated fats like nuts, canola oil, olive and avocados to keep your blood sugar level lower.
- Whole foods like whole wheat pasta, whole wheat flour, brown rice and bread.
- Drink plain water instead of sweetened drinks. You can take unsweetened tea or other low-calorie drink options.
- Instead of ice cream, enjoy frozen yogurt to satisfy your sweet tooth.
These simple tips can be helpful to control a diabetes or blood sugar level. So, take these steps to enjoy a healthy life.